This year’s NYFW kicked off with a bang as NaturallyCurly.com showcased some of the fiercest natural hair looks to ever grace a runway stage at Texture On The Runway. Amidst the more than 900 influencers, media and VIPs who filled NYC’s Iconic Gotham Hall to help the Texture On The Runway celebrate their 20th anniversary, it was NaturallyCurly co-founder Michelle Breyer who stole the show with a new ‘do, outside of her comfort zone, crafted by me! Michelle stepped up her everyday curly look by hitting the runway revealing a hot, new makeover, giving Love & Hip Hop Miami co-host, Amara La Negra, a run with her beautiful, bountiful curls. I amplified Michelle’s signature style with clip-in hair extensions to add volume and length. Then I colored the extensions using the Pintura method, which was created especially for curly girls. The finished look was a head full of big, bouncy, curls with splashes of toffee and caramel highlights, perfect for its close up in Texture On The Runway.
I was delighted to style Michelle for the show, she is beautiful both inside and out. It meant the world to me that she allowed me to transform her. I was able to present her as the vivacious supermodel I see when I envision her
Here’s my step-by-step process to achieve Michelle’s bouncy runway curls:
1) I ordered curly hair extensions from Kurly Klips with a texture very similar to Michelle’s natural texture.
2) Once receiving the extensions, I lightened the clip-in pieces using the Pintura technique, which works best for curly hair. It allows me to hand paint the hair color exactly where I want it to be, maximizing visibility. I toned the lightened hair to perfectly matching shades of toffee and caramel.
3) I clipped in both bundles of extensions, which measured 20″ and 22″ to add fullness and volume.
4) Once all of the clip-ins were applied, I dampened Michelle’s hair and applied the Ouidad Climate Control line to begin styling. I started with the leave in and Detangling Heat Spray, then followed with the Climate Control Gel.
5) I blow dried the hair using my BabylissPRO Titanium blow dryer
6) Once the hair was dry, I sprayed large sections of the hair with the Oribe Soft Lacquer Heat spray. Then I curled half-inch sections of hair with my BabylissPRO 3/4 Marcel Iron.
7) Razor cut the extensions for the best blend with Michelle’s natural hair.
8) I followed with a wide tooth comb to backcomb the hair and capitalize on the newly added volume and fullness thanks to the extensions.
9) Lastly, I finished the style with the Oribe Superfine hairspray.
In addition to getting Michelle Breyer runway ready, I joined Texture On The Runway to broadcast on Mane Moves, along with co-host, Bre Scullark, who provided commentary through an up close and personal look at all the hair and fashion slayage before and after the show. It was an incredible experience to co-host the Mane Moves live coverage of Texture in the Runway and I enjoyed interviewing the top decision makers in the hair industry as well as expressing my opinion on each brand’s stage show. I loved the fact that Texture On The Runway focused on the many hair textures of the world and they were all showcased within the runway show. CLICK HERE to watch the Mane Moves live broadcast of Texture On The Runway that I hosted!